PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 6
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 6
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2007, 12:21
transwede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emirates has set a prescedence for long haul operations at NCL, if the service is a success. A worldwide recognised carrier beginning flights to a hub network, like DXB is a great start for the airport in attracting other 'legacy' carriers offering the same type of service/flights. Sure, NCL may not sustain first class operations, hence the use of A330 Business/Economy a/c by EK. I am sure that a CO NYC service, with a small capacity airliner like the 757 would work from NCL, indeed flights from other regional UK and European airports seem to perform well, like BFS, BRS etc.

Wether Jet2 will start long haul ops using their 757 will remain to be seen, however for such a service I think a carrier like CO would be better suited. Yes lowcost airlines have a very important role to play in the developement of NCL, especially given the increase in flights generated at NCL by these airlines, however long haul is a slightly different ball game compared with european loco services.

On the charter front, when mergers of the big four are complete, there will be little need for ad-hoc units, such as FJE to be based at NCL. Comparing the charter network with the likes of MAN, NCL is fairly small and operators tend to keep flying 'in-house'. XL seem to be concentrating their programme, taking all flight in house and smaller niche operators tend to just buy block seats from the big 4, soon to be big 2. Only the likes of Olympic Holidays, who are not directly involved with an airline have a sizeable presence at NCL, and they seem to use quite alot of XL amd MYT flights.

I also, come the merger, highly doubt that FCA will reopen a base, especially when TOM have a 3 aircraft base at NCL. First Choice holidays, I presume will just have their pax travelling on TOM flights.

It will be nice to see more longhaul aircraft and destinations at NCL, Summer 08 will see an increased long haul presence from:

Thomsonfly 767 - PUJ, CUN, SFB.
Monarch A330 - POP, SFB.
Emirates A330 - DXB.
Globespan 757 - Toronto (presuming it will still continue next year).
TCX 757 - YYZ.

A NYC flight would make a nice addition to that list.