PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Crew Security" Thread (merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2007, 11:58
RatherBeFlying

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
Back in my mid-teens, I was thoroughly read up on the encyclopedia articles on nitroglycerine and other things that go bang.

The early railroad cuttings were blasted with nitro. The major problem was transport of the stuff as it has a tendency to go boom at the slightest shock. Nitro carriers were required to display a signal flag so that other workers could give them a wide berth.

Later practice was to mix the stuff on the spot, sometimes even in the blasting hole.

Mixing the stuff together requires transport of nitric acid -- quite nasty stuff that I would not want on my person as well as temperature control -- security and cabin crew are advised to be extremely vigilant for ice buckets and cooler packs

Nitro is today available by prescription in small capsules for heart patients, but I have not heard of any such patients suddenly vaporising

But who knows what could happen when you get a few score rickety HPs extracting the nitro from their little capsules to get enough together for a big bang