Thread: Crop Spraying
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2007, 08:54
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ag Memoirs

Crop spraying.

Just an odd note to brighten the day ... anyone out there recall the evening at the Sutton Bridge Hotel (Norfolk) when, after the end of a great ag season, (circa 1980ish) Spoonair Ag services held a 'thanks to all' staff dinner.

Our leading ground op/flagman had an exciting lady partner to say the least, (the rumour was an ex-Windmill lady) As the wine flowed, said lady decided to warm the evening by standing on the table and removing her top. I certainly enjoyed the views, but the hotel management and dining guests weren't so impressed and invited us all to leave. Those present were the C ag P Brian Izzard, Dave Cook, Derek Alexander, Paul Manning and the spraying team whose names I can no longer recall. (God bless wherever you are now)

I do know how competitive those days were. David Dollar's outfit were the Ag industry leaders alongside Heli Scott and perhaps ourselves, who were always being undercut in the price war. Still, the impromptu insecticide season was very short and very sweet, and our Ag team just got stuck in and made figurative hay while the sun was out. And even as the team boss, I also spent the odd night in the heli so to be reading for a sunrise start. Sadly not with the said lady!

But yes ... tons of team spirit, happy working and enjoyable days as long as the Hostathions didn't get up your nose!

Fond memories and best wishes to all ex and current Ag men.

Dennis K

PS. Don't pinch any Nitram for your lawn at home. I did once and spent the next month mowing every second or third day!