PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 6
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 6
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2007, 20:32
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runway Extension The only current references that I am aware that have been published were in the 2004 master plan that covered the 12 year period up to 2016 which referred to an extension at the east end of '25' of 360 meters and subsequent need to re-route the Dinnington road. It is some time since I read the plan but I recall that my impression was that it was mentioned more in the spirit of retaining an ongoing option rather than to record the provision of imminent & necessary works.
In the annals of the history of NCL there has been talk of an extension for some 30 years, but for my 'six pennyworth' it seems that a comfort zone has been reached with the pressure on such a project being eased by improvements in aircraft operating performances. I'm sure that the airlines would appreciate the increased performance margins such an extension would offer, but doubt whether they would be prepared to pay. Incidentally also from memory, I recall when the project was first discussed all those years ago the cost was mooted at £6 Million, but there were also problems with land acquisition from a local farmer. What an investment that would have been, & was clearly one project Jimmy didn't succeed in achieving
Now if any one has anything to add to suggest that the project may be advanced or indeed as to how it would be financed, presume cost is now more akin to £50 Million I'd be very interested to hear.