PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety case for commercial ops outside CAS
Old 29th Apr 2007, 20:20
NorthSouth

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
niknak:
It may well be true that SRG are behind the game, but the reason I posted this was to see what people thought of their proposal. Seems to me SRG is faced with, on the one hand, a commercial aviation sector that operates increasingly in a safety case regime, and on the other, the day to day reality you describe of controllers using their skill and experience to separate traffic in a dynamic regime outside CAS. The problem is that controller skill and experience is not easy to codify into a safety case framework - it's all down to "feeling in the waters" and all those favourite phrases.

You say CAA staff haven't controlled for years, well maybe that's true too, but it seems to me it's the controllers whose only experience has been in the safety management mania of the last few years who would have most difficulty understanding what London Mil and their ilk do on a day to day basis, not controllers who were active in the 70s/80s.

On top of all that, while this proposal is for *airlines* to prepare a safety case, a lot of what will have to go into those safety cases is ATC material. Who will prepare it? And do airlines have the sort of people who will know what to look for and whether it's adequate?

NS