PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic Master thread volume 2
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2007, 13:05
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All good news reference the B787 in 2011. What is the plan for the next four years? Since VS deferred previous Airbus orders, will both fleets remain static in terms of numbers until 2011? With 'open skies' just around the corner, surely not!
The plan? You think Virgin has a plan?! That'll be a first!

Seriously, Virgin tends to try and stay flexible in order to exploit opportunities as they arise. Slots at Heathrow are difficult to come by - but not impossible - and new routes may well be influenced by the timing of the slots the airline acquires. There is a wish-list of destinations and routes, but this is also flexible. For example, I'm not sure how many in the airline anticipated RB's announcement of direct flights to Perth - I wouldn't be surprised if it even took Commercial by surprise!

That said, there is also something of a policy (for want of a better word) of strengthening the airline's presence on the most profitable and well-supported routes, as the build up to 6 New Yorks a day, 2 Washingtons, 2 LAs, God knows how many Orlandos (from 3 UK airports), etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see a second San Fran return, for example (there was one from LGW prior to 2002).

So, what's the plan? I don't know - I'll wait and see, like everyone else!

Scroggs