PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uk Jaa Cpl H
Thread: Uk Jaa Cpl H
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2007, 12:57
Flingingwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope that wasn't what I was saying.
You've sort of answered your own question with your earlier posts.....

Many jobs that don't utilise an IR are beginning to specify an ATPL as a application requirement.

An inexperienced CPL with an FI rating may well become a good FI, but how do they gain CPL experience when their main role is ppl tuition???? A CPL is a licence. Flying the roles you mention is 'commercial' work and new FI's in the main get very little of that.

An IR is a way of showing a potential employer that despite your low hours you can fly to a recognised standard (It's a tricky course!). I've FI'd and know how hard the jobs are to come by and how quickly the shine of that role fades. Having completed an IR I still had little actual commercial experience, yet would get S.E. onshore work in preference to some guys without IR's but with more total hours.

It's not the hours you've got but what you've done with them that counts. It's been said before the lowest risk option is FI and hours build, but it is a VERY slow road to development in 99.9% of cases with no assurance of progressing from teaching. 000's of hours teaching won't guarantee you anything (You learn little from trial lessons and by the later ppl lessons do little actual hands on flying.)

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed tecahing. But I should have done the IR instead.