PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pre-flight SNAFU's that could have been FUBAR's
Old 29th Apr 2007, 05:07
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mention of Jamair's kingair reminded me of a CHTR from TNK to DRW, new pax for chtr DRW-ASP.

TNK pax (CLP ministry) all late, such that the chtr ex DRW being on time is doubtful.

Pax turn up and advise they now want to stop at KTR to drop of the Fire Fighting researcher. Hearded them into Kingair, close the door, blast off.

Got to top of climb and had the door warning annunciator come on. F#^&. It was then that I remembered that in my haste to depart, I hadn't checked the door lock barrels. For non Kingair folk, the airstair door has a notorious warning system. If on closing the lock barrels are confirmed in position, a subsequent DOOR annunciation can be disregarded.

My dilemma now is, the AFM calls for descent to A100 and depresurisation. This means an on time departure from DRW for the next chtr is impossible. So I weighed up the options.
  • Get one of the pax to check barrels - Not a good idea as the POH also says not to touch the door as it may open (this happened in the 80's in the US, captain went out the door and clung to the handrail to the ground).
  • Disregard - not considered a good option.
  • Leave seat, look at door myself - considered not too professional.
  • Accept POH is the only way to go and initiate descent.

Having made the decision to descend, the annunciator went out and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Less than 10 mins later, the autopilot failed, and the aircraft rolled markedly. Had I decided earlier to leave my seat and investigate the door, recovery would have been doubtful!