PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DA42 double engine failure
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2007, 17:44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a very long time aircraft driver having driven 'biggies' as a job for many years but 'seen the light', but first time user to this forum I will say:

I am somewhat alarmed by the attitude of B2N2 on the 'horror story' of the double engine failure on a DA42 as he seems to be connected in some way with Diamond Aircraft or a major operator or investor in these aircraft in the good old US of A. I do hope it does not reflect the attitude of his principles.

I am merely a poor sod eagerly waiting, but now rather alarmed, new owner awaiting delivery of a DA42.

Without wanting to get into 'geekish techno arguments' it would seem to me that it is not an unreasonable expectation that if you take off having started both engines on the GPU, which is quite normal operating procedure on every aircraft I have ever flown, and retract the undercarriage you should not expect both engines to stop! That the accident is in some part due to the crew not adhering to the checklist seems to me not to be a 'robust' solution to a clear design failure; and that Diamond have issued an advisory to start in accordance with the checklist does not solve the problem either. Hopefully it will just ensure this particualr type of incident does not happen again. It does not solve the problem of a major electrical problem stopping both engines!

I think that Diamond and Thielert should stop squabbiling about what is to be done, or more likely who is to pay, and get on and do a proper fix ASAP before someone gets killed. Clearly there is an acceptance by both parties that there is a problem despite what has been suggested by some on this forum.

The fact that EASA have said fix it pronto or we will issue a directive speaks volumes about this poor design.

Despite all of the above I do believe this aircraft is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have little doubt that this surprising design failure will be fixed either by EASA or those involved soon and on my aircraft the engines will run after a total DC collapse - or some motor starting up or burning out somewhere and dropping busbar voltage for 1.7 milliseconds! One blessing I suppose is with it's heritage the DA42 should glide quite well!

I never thought I would be grateful to a 'bunch of bureaucrats' for knocking heads together; and it is alarming that they may have to!