PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DA42 double engine failure
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2007, 14:31
B2N2

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
As an after thought; a lot of airplanes have design features that make you go Hmmm.....

> Older models Cessna 172, hard fuel lines with a rubber bend going through the A-pillar on the pilot and pass side. Notorious for drying out, cracking and leaking. Several fires (in flight) have occurred as a result of the cockpit lighting switch (half way the A-pillar) shorting out.

> Piper Cherokee Six, 4 fuel tanks of 17 gallons each. Fuel flow on T/O is app. 30 gall./hr. Surely makes for a lot of switching in a high work load environment if you take off with less then full tanks.

> Piper Cherokee/Warrior series, nice fuel selector in an awkward place, easy to turn to an intermediate position or even OFF because of the lack of a stop.

> Any airplane with only one door on the wrong (= passenger) side.

> Piper AeroStar, loads of people taxi with the door open, waiting to loose an arm.

> any aircraft with a "wet-wing" fuel system, wing damage= tank damage= fuel leak= fire...

> Vacuum pumps that can get damaged if you turn the propeller against the normal direction of rotation, this will lead to early failure. Don't read about that in a POH.

> Dry vacuum pumps period, who ever came up with those needs to be shot...lubrication by self destruction is what it's called. They "recommend"
replacement after 500 hrs.

I could go on for hours....
Point being, aircraft are inherently dangerous, proper training and application of common sense can reduce the chances of an accident or incident.

End of rant...I'll get my coat.