PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground Speed Mini and Strong Headwinds
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2007, 08:29
Wingswinger

Location: Hampshire physically; Perthshire and Pembrokeshire mentally.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max,

I don't think G/S mini would have prevented the WAW crew from going off the end of RW11. They approached fast (+20kts IAS) with a tailwind well beyond limits (18 kts at touchdown) to a wet runway in heavy rain. They did not select autobrake either. There you have it.

I can think of one runway to which I have operated frequently, Aberdeen 34, which is short (1730m, I think) and which has a marked down-slope in the TDZ. If you approach there with excess speed and mishandle the flare leading to a deep touchdown, you will overrun the end. You must recognise the situation early and carry out a go-around. That is why I would, in stong gusty winds, approach in selected speed.

Flying is about risk management and one must at all times balance one risk against another. Company SOPs can be too prescriptive. I used to fly for a company which banned manual thrust - except when the ATHR was not coping or was u/s (allowable) - very silly and very short-sighted. I now fly for a company which encourages crews to think for themselves and employ whatever techniques are contained in the FCOM. Much more sensible.

Should your company ever operate to Aberdeen, or to Inverness, or to Bristol or Jersey it is denying itself advantage in banning selected speed. All of these airports have very short runways which can be difficult. Bristol has a downslope in 09 direction and Jersey's runway is a mini mountain-range. If the flare were to be misjudged, your choice would be between a go-around and an overrun (not a good idea at Jersey 27 - it's a 300ft drop to the beach!). I elect to reduce the risk of either by selecting my speed and side-lining G/S mini. Indeed, my previous company (when the fleet had sensible managers)ordered approaches to Jersey at Vls, either by amending Vapp or by selecting the speed.

Safe flying,

WS

Last edited by Wingswinger; 28th Apr 2007 at 08:39.