PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground Speed Mini and Strong Headwinds
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2007, 07:04
Mäx Reverse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have seen very very high target speeds with groundspeed mini engaged on the autothrottles leading to just what you descibed (long landings, dithering around a couple of feet above the pavement for extended times etc...)
@ wino:
'High Targetspeeds' are there for a reason! If you experience a 'sharp' speed-loss-windshear close to the ground (i.e. temp-inversion/high-pressure, pretty common here in fall/winter) YOU may be able to advance the TLs quick, but that won't help because of the time it takes THE AIRCRAFT to regain the lost speed beause of it's inertia.

The GS mini function was 'paid for' with blood, sweat and tears, can't believe anybody intentionally flying selected during a handflown app. only to get the speed down!

For those who don't know or remember 'the old times' before GS mini, here's an interesting transcript of the report on the A320 Accident at Warsaw (without GS mini). http://www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de/publ...aw-report.html (if anybody knows a link to the 'official' report, I'd appreciate that)

I fully agree that the airbus is not the best aircraft for stormy approaches and that GS mini has it's disadvantages, too. But overall it's cleary a benefit and my company manuals don't allow selected speed during 'normal' approaches.
Manual Flight/Thrust and managed speed will do it, if the target is too high, either the wind-data on the PERF APP page are not accurate or your ADIRUs could need a re-alignment.

Regards, MAX