PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground Speed Mini and Strong Headwinds
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2007, 18:25
Wingswinger

Location: Hampshire physically; Perthshire and Pembrokeshire mentally.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming people are talking about A320 family and not the bigger buses

DL

I have personally seen gs mini above 177 knots when in config full, not exactly how it is described in the books,
If you are sure that you were in config F at the time I would suggest that the aircraft's FMGC possibly had a software glitch. G/S mini is limited to Vfe next in Config 1, 2 and 3 and Vfe-5kts in config F. That is, the Vapp target is limited, not the actual speed. Not the same thing. In very gusty conditions it is possible for the ATHR to get out of phase with the actual speed variations as the Vapp target, modified by G/S mini, can lag events somewhat.

Wino

I'm curious to know why you think going "selected" is a bad idea. I've been doing it when I think I need to in gusty conditions for as long as I have been flying A320s (9 years). Most of the time I'd go back to "managed" once out of the rough winds but occasionally it is better to stay selected all the way to the flare, especially if landing on a very short runway. At least the speed target is not moving so there is less chance of a prolonged flare and deep touchdown.