PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climb Straight Ahead / Climb On Runway Heading
Old 27th Apr 2007, 12:42
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Runway heading is exactly what it says - the compass direction or QDR when on the centreline.
"The compass direction when on the centreline". You don't really mean that, do you? I can be "on the centreline" with all sorts of different headings.

Seriously, I understand that's how you interpret it (as does the FAA). I'm not seeking opinions, simply pointing out that the ambiguity exists.

SIDS in Canada tend to be runway heading to a given altitude, and can be quite entertaining at times.
Apart from the passengers, why on earth would anyone want a SID to be "quite entertaining"? Wouldn't you rather it were "safe"? I can understand someone saying "it doesn't matter if you compensate for drift or not on this procedure because it doesn't make a significant difference". I can't understand any reason for saying "you must not compensate for drift because we want you to end up in a random place relative to the prescribed track".