PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHLAir wannabe? read this.
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2007, 11:08
neil armstrong

Moon Walker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will try to show that there really is a problem!

DHL air has B757 with the RR RB211-535C engines ,there where 37 B757 made with this engine type, DHL has 34 of these I think.
There where 548 B757 made with the RR RB211-535E4 engines.
Here is a summery of the fumes reports over the years

E4
Year 00 01 02 03 04 05 06
reports 11 6 4 4 4 5 1

C
Year 00 01 02 03 04 05 06
reports 10 21 9 0 0 2 2

As you can see the number of reports has gone down after the airplanes where sold to DHL air ,problably to do with awareness etc.
Also every report at BA went onto the list ,I don’t know or that happens with all DHL reports( I thought there where more then 2 reports filed in 2006) ,but this will show in the data for 2007
So peope say that the E4’s also have the reports ,but if you compare the data you will see that over all there are less reports on the E4 then on the C powered B757(although this fleet is only 6.8% of the total amount of RR powered B757’s)
Some people say the engines are of the same type so whats the worry!
They might have the same name but the internal design of the bearing compartments is different what makes it more difficult for leaking oil to get into the Air system on the E4’s

The problem encountered with the C engines now is that there are almost no spare engines!
Its easy to get E4 engines as there are lots of them available ,beside this problem there is only one overhaul shop for the C engine ,the old BA overhaul plant!
And they are not doing a very good job on the overhauls ive been told.
With very long overhaul times and few spare engines this is causing lots of problems.

So you can call it a couple of whining or call us drama queens but the problem existed long before we got the aircraft.
What I wonder is why did DHL buy them they had a long history of problems and why wasn’t this found on the paperwork check before the deal ,I would think that they had a team go over all the techlogs to examin the history.
I have been told that the BA engineering management did have a party when the last of the C powered 757 left the company ,I wonder why?

Neil