PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying into Cloud
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2007, 09:44
Stratus Fractus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying into Cloud

OK please go easy..Yes, I have tried a search, instructors and the books. This has always been a grey area for me and a few others I have spoken to.

2 similar situations:

1) I am flying VFR above 3000ft in the UK, Class G, with an IMC rating. I want to fly through a couple of small clouds to experience real IMC in case I ever have to do it for real.

2) I want to climb through a thin layer of stratus to get in the clearer air up top.

As I fly toward the cloud I will no longer be flying in VMC because I have less than 1500m lateral seperation from cloud. If I am not in VMC I can no longer be flying VFR, so I must be IFR. But I haven't filed a flight plan for this local bimble, and I am not at the correct flight level because I am just meandering around enjoying myself, so I am not IFR either.

I am probably already receiving a FIS, or a RIS.

I have already done a risk assessment re: ice, turbulence, gliders, terrain clearance. This hypothetical situation is considered safe.

How can I do this legally? What calls are necassary? Does anybody else feel strong urges to fly around, through and over the whitestuff without telling anyone? Slipping the surely bonds etc...

Many thanks in advance.