PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RN desperate for pilots?
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2007, 09:27
mustflywillfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For God's sake do not join the RN if you want to fly. There is a bloody good reason why we are desperate.

If I had my time again then it would be the RAF all the way. I imagine you love aircraft, love flying and love the buzz of airfields. Remember if you screw the training up in the RN then your life will revolve around, ships, the sea and people who generally couldn't give a toss about aviation (or you will be a civvy again). At least the RAF's sole purpose is to operate aircraft.

Many in the RN slag the RAF off (I have been guilty) there is a simple reason for this - Jealousy. In the crabs you could fly Fast Jets, Helos or Multis. In the RN you are very very restricted.

Of course if you love ships, travelling at 14kts to far off places and whizzing over the featureless oceans (with the exception of the Junglie guys and girls) then the RN is for you!!

I have nearly "bagged" 9 years service now and am "plotting" my escape to civvy flying.

Just be very very sure that the RN is for you. Obviously if you have failed RAF selection then go for it but do not be under any illusion - Betty Windsors Flying Club it is not!

MFWF (dons hard hat for incoming)