PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats Next do you Think??
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2007, 06:27
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We had a very convincing presentation by a previous force commander of the Khandahar EAW. I can buy in to that, almost.

As there is only one EAW in that theatre and you wear 'light blue' (well something light blue) if you are not badged EAW 912 (or whatever) you are a red tabbed klingon just there for the medal.

If, by chance, the Coningsby Wing was deployed, lock stock and barrel, all sqns, cooks, bottle washers etc, then the concept holds up.

As only part of one sqn will deploy and the existing base personnel will probably roulement in turn sometime later returning to random UK base units, it is b*llux to consider Coningsby as expeditionary, except in deepest Lincolnshire.

When we actually deployed EAWs to the same theatre we probably had more EAWs then than sqns now.

Did the Banff Wing have an EAW number? Probably not, but they operated more as a wg than as individual sqns. In much the same way as the Scampton Wing or the Waddington Wing did through out the cold war.

As I said, I can almost buy it, but those original wings were indeed expeditionary and mobile and more than one in the same area.