PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to read the bloddy books!
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2007, 20:00
Slopey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my suggestion, becouse you get to learn the basics about how flying works?
All the theory is incidental - once you start flying you get the feel for it pretty quickly - it does'nt make any difference if you've read the "how it works" books - you're concentrating on how to fly the maneouver.

But in essence, try and get some exams out of the way before you go - if I had my time again, I'd try and clear Human Perf (easy), Met (hard) and Airlaw (slog) before heading to OBA.

Pompey - you do not need Air law to go solo in the US. You need to pass an open book FAA exam which you can look up all the answers in the FAR-AIM - not tricky.

Get CAP413 (google) and read it for RT, get a handheld air band scanner and tune in, and there are a couple of RT CDs which I played in the car which were quite useful.

Also - get to your local club, and do 2 hours before you go - it'll be invaluable - honest - and get the instructor there to demonstrate and get used to using Trim. Trim is the greatest single thing on the entire aircraft when you're learning.