PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jaguar Farewell
Thread: Jaguar Farewell
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2007, 18:57
OC 6 Sqn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar Farewell

JAGUAR FAREWELL

Today I announced to the members of 6 Squadron that the Jaguar OSD is to be brought forward to 30 Apr 07. All operationally orientated training will cease on this date and the Jaguar will no longer be a deployable Force Element. Delivery of the airframes to Cosford will then commence and I have been instructed that any ceremonial flying must be concluded during May.

Naturally, this comes as a great disappointment to all members of the Jaguar Force. I do not consider it feasible to organise an event to celebrate 33 years of stalwart service with due gravity with only 5 weeks notice. I am also conscious that such short notice would compromise attendance.

I have therefore elected to organise the final Jaguar Farewell for the weekend of 29 Jun – 1 Jul 07, reluctantly accepting that this will be without the nostalgia of RAF Jaguar flying.

Despite the short notice, I am determined to do justice to an aircraft that has enjoyed, uniquely, such long and extensive RAF service and a Force that has long been characterised by its easy camaraderie but indomitable spirit.

A programme of events is therefore already shaping up that will allow all current and ex-Jaguar RAF personnel to celebrate their association and affection for this remarkable aircraft and the ethos that has come to surround it. The Jaguar Force only relocated to RAF Coningsby in April 06 and the weekend of 29 Jun – 1 Jul will also provide an opportunity to formally thank the families of the current Jag Force for their steadfast support and loyal endurance of the associated domestic turbulence.

An aircraft enthusiasts’ day on Fri 29 Jun will be based around invitations to all RAF ex-Jaguar squadrons to fly their current types into RAF Coningsby; invitations are also being extended to the French AF and representation sought from friendly international operators of the Jaguar, such as Oman and India, and those nations that have contributed exchange pilots. As is traditional, Happy Hour will be held in the Officers’ Mess.

On Sat 30 Jun, the Squadron accommodation will be open and there will be an opportunity to view the last 2 remaining RAF Jaguars and the visiting aircraft, while also enjoying a number of flying displays. The main event will be the ‘End of Jaguar Ball’ in the evening; it is hoped that all 3 messes will hold functions so that all ranks can participate equally.

The short notice is most regrettable and will undoubtedly inconvenience many, but this is due to circumstances beyond our control and, for perspective, I would ask that a thought is spared for the immediate uncertainty that now faces the current Force.

Despite the short notice, I am confident that many will take this last opportunity to celebrate their membership of such an exclusive cadre and I encourage all to book early to avoid disappointment as Mess capacity will inevitably limit numbers. Early notice will also ease substantially the administrative burden of this venture! Therefore, any serving and ex-serving Jaguar personnel who may like to attend any or all of the proposed celebrations should forward their contact details to 6 Sqn as follows:

Jaguar Retirement Celebrations
6 Sqn
RAF Coningsby
Lincolnshire
LN4 4SY

External email: [email protected]

Internal email: CON-6Sqn-JagRet Grp Mail

Tel - 01526 34 6496
Fax - 01526 346499

Initial contact details must be received by 31 May to enable event details to be dispatched and final payment to be received by 15 Jun. The Officers’ Mess Ball will cost £45 for each ex-Jaguar officer and the same price levied for the first guest; additional guests will be subject to approval and will attract a higher fee. Please consider sending any attendance money along with your initial contact details as this will further streamline the process at a time when our main effort is, clearly, to secure the future of our serving personnel.

Finally, please forward these details to any other ex-Jaguar personnel that you are still in contact with to enable maximum attendance. I look forward to seeing you at what should be a memorable, if slightly sad, weekend of celebrations.

John Sullivan
OC6

Last edited by OC 6 Sqn; 11th May 2007 at 13:08. Reason: Amended e-mail address