PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1st solo
Thread: 1st solo
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2007, 15:28
EastMids

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff and congratulations...

C150, 12 years ago. I remember:

1. Looking down and seeing the wheels stop rotating after takeoff and thinking to myself "Well, you better get this one right"

2. Had got used to where the old bucket reached circuit height (rather than regularly looking at the altimeter). Looked at the alt at the "usual" place in the circuit and - "Whoa, I'm 300' too high!!!" Instructor didn't point out that it'd go up much faster one-up! A rapid 300' decent ensued, with me hoping the instructor on the ground hadn't noticed my unauthodox height control!

3. Getting into the car to drive back to the house afterwards, The Beach Boys "Kokomo" happened to be on the car radio - not my usual choice, but WTF! That song even now still reminds me of the euphoric feeling I had at the time of "having done it"!

Reflecting on that event now, I'm left feeling amazed at how little I knew about flying and how little experience I had back then - I almost wonder if it was more luck than judgement that I'm here now! No doubt, if I'm still flying in another 12 years time I'll look back on now and think much the same.
A