PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eclipse at Friedrichshafen
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2007, 11:39
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IO, I think we will see people vote with their feet (and money) over the next few years wrt the VLJ/turboprop market.

TBM 850 sales are strong and deservedly so.
The Eclipse stand was constantly buzzing though, far more so than any other manufacturer, so I wouldn't be surprised if the show generated a few more orders for big Vern.

Apparently most air taxi missions are less than 1000nm and involve carrying the pilot, a wealthy individual and said wealthy individual's accountant/lawyer. I don't think the TBM's load hauling capacity or range would be necessary for most trips.

I agree the TBM is beautiful and built like the proverbial brick outhouse.
(It was part designed by Mooney so it definitely gets my seal of approval.)
I know the VP of Socata who is in charge of TBM 850 sales as a personal friend and would love to buy a plane from him but at double the price of the Eclipse? Even a zillionaire (and I am definitely not one) would probably take 2 Eclipses. The advantages are that it has 2 engines (debatable benefit I know but lets not get into that one), higher svc ceiling, 50kts higher max cruise speed, most gizmos as standard (unlike the TBM where you pay for the wx radar as an extra and lose 5kts in cruise) and it is half the price.

Like any aircraft it depends what you want to use it for.

SB