PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Heathrow Tower
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2007, 10:48
Gonzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2miles600feet,

I'm sure if you knew me you'd understand I'm quite willing to accept when I'm wrong, and I'm actually not in the least bit bitter or close minded.

Yes, I like to keep Ops and Project Development on their toes, but then isn't that how we improve things? By pointing out what we believe are shortcomings and working together to improve them? Please P7 jump in here if you think I'm speaking out of turn.

Personally I don't care what flow measures are on (and no, you're wrong, if I was on leave I wouldn't be the least bit concerned to hear what flow was on or not - I would know that when I'd turn up for my first day, I would have 3.5 mile spacing, and that would be it. Others who hadn't had my level of involvement in the project, or weren't as confident, might not).

People are managing to cope at the moment because there are three, sometimes four, people who an ATCO in position can call on to help him/her, and the L/ops are doing great work in co-ordinating with Apron, especially with towing movements that haven't been input into the system correctly, or flights that are not allocated a stand on our strips because the flight plan is BAW98 and the stand management system has it as BAW098. These are the shortcomings that we keep noting down, so they can get changed, so the system improves. I apologise to anyone if by doing so I'm hurting anyone's feelings.

I think I'm a decent ATCO (OJTI, LCE, EFPS instructor and former WTO), and I have struggled to keep up with both sessions of GMC. I have always said that EFPS will suit more ATCOs more than others, and it doesn't suit me. My strips used to be everything. I cannot now put every clearance limit on the strips that I use, and still have the same amount of spare capacity that I used to have; I'm using more of that spare capacity to keep track of things. I do really hope that the situation will improve in that regard. I don't think I will ever get back to the same level as in the old tower.

I do think everyone involved in the work over the past few years, which to be honest has felt more like damage control than project development, deserves congratulations. Especially P7 and his colleagues for putting up with me!