PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microsoft Flight Simulator X
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2007, 21:01
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd echo all that. The handling bears only a limited resemblence to the real thing and that depends on the yoke or joystick you have. It does give an insight into what real flying is all about and is useful for practising instrument flying. Which after all is what simulators are for. I used it practice instrument approaches which I had recently flown for real. Sometimes, particularly when set at night in cloud and you darken the room, it can be quite compelling. But I found I had to scale back the so called 'realistic' handling to stop even a 172twitching like a Pitts Special. You can get add ons which replicate every switch switch and button on specific aircraft. I saw an ATR add on which looked amazing but I doubt you could really fly an ATR after playing with it for a while.

I think it's only really useful for a PPL student where an instructor can demonstrate something he or she has being describing. I think it does teach you very bad habits as Tom says. Plus there is the one essential thing missing, it can't kill you. That extra frisson of excitement or fear is highly motivating to do things properly.