PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax cockpit access - are there rules?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2007, 17:10
takemehome

Thanks Kurtz. Facts, not emotions, was what I was originally asking for, and though they don't necessarily relate to Thailand, your contribution helps me understand some of the official views of the industry.

I find some of the mild abuse and brush-offs to my story quite amusing, particulary those who think that passengers like myself are being nosey by concerning ourselves with what's going on up front.

As I see it, it's us nosey SLF who are more likely to assist Cabin Crew if ever then is another 9/11 attempt, heaven forbid, and when a sign on a door clearly says "Crew Only" it means just that, to us. After all, the sign isn't placed on a cockpit door for the benefit of the crew, is it?! None of us like the many layers of security being imposed on us but we recognise that it's in our best interests, until we see it being applied in a discretionary manner.

Most people I know take an interest these days in that door being opened, and who's going through it. And as we're the ones paying the bills I think we have an absolute right to have some interest in our safety and to raise questions when something is obviously in doubt (such as civilians walking through a "Crew Only" door).

That's not to say we think we're experts and are casting doubt on the Captain's authority or ability; but if I have passengers in my car and they are concerned at the speed I'm driving at, they too have a right to comment, don't you think?

Having said that, I realise that most contributors to this forum are passionate professionals, for whom I have utmost respect, and I completely understand the views expressed about the desire to have visitors in the cockpit just like the old days. Now, I'll take my leave and go back to being a silent observer.