PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax cockpit access - are there rules?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2007, 12:51
CDRW

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
My two cents worth and some drivle. Has this "security" issue not gone totally out of control - from the screening after immigration and what you can and cannot take on board to this secure flight deck issue!!

Alot of posts about impressing the youngsters but this is what happened to me.

I can remember doing a flight into Kai Tack a few years ago - well quite a few years ago - and during the cruise we had the usual load of visitors peering into the flight deck and asking the usual questions. At the back of the group was this elderly man, and as the youngsters cleared out, he came up and started asking questions to do with the IGS, the chequer (sp?) boards, the final turn. I asked if he was a pilot and he said he wasn't, but loved flying. Medically he could not be a pilot. So for his 65th birthday his wife had bought him and hour in a BA simulator (747 I think) and all he had done was "fly" the IGS into Hkg. And now here he was on a flight into Hkg, 3 months after his sim session. The inevitable question came, and I think he knew he was asking alot, but he asked if there was any way he could sit in the flight deck for landing. The FO winked at me, and the look on his face when I said yes was worth a million dollars. Never got his name, and I would think he may well be flying his 747 for the almighty, but I will always remember him.