PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax cockpit access - are there rules?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2007, 11:02
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
PS

but hey, it is the Flight crew who decides who comes onboard and sits where and no-one else
OK Despegue, everyone's entitled to a view, but that's a remarkable take on how an airline works. I hope you understand your own job (whatever that is) a bit better.

That aside, I have believed for 30 years that Airline Directors should either travel economy or travel in the jump seat, and for some years was in the happy position of being able to enforce it, not as a Chairman, I hasten to add, but as the petty Hitler on the ramp who frequently had to tell Directors of one of the many airlines we handled, during a transit, that their safe-from-angry-customers, cosseted 1st Class seats had been re-allocated to a last-minute customer paying the full fare. Notably, only BA Directors and Captains would normally seek - unsuccessfully - to insist on their 1st Class rights, usually loudly and right in front of passengers, but I'm sure that this probably no longer happens as realism takes hold.

Economy travel provides a very good education for non-operational Directors about the difference between their advertising and the actual product; flight deck travel, especially long-haul, is an unparalled opportunity for two-way education. Both sides can learn a hell of a lot, if they are willing and able to listen.

PS Before someone leaps to chastise me, yes, we did ask the Captain before putting a Director into the jump seat. They universally saw the opportunity for what it was, and welcomed it.

Last edited by old,not bold; 23rd Apr 2007 at 11:13.