PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anzac Day; Lest we forget. Fathers, Uncles etc
Old 23rd Apr 2007, 00:58
Old 'Un

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another year has rolled by and again we contemplate the significance of ANZAC Day.

To those who still proudly march, albeit some more slowly than before, I stand and bow to honour you;

To those no longer with us, such as my Dad, I look at your marching comrades and I still see you amongst them;

To those who never came back, I close my eyes and say a silent prayer of thanks for your sacrifice.

"Lest we forget."

Captain Nomad raises an interesting insight when he says "Some of his stories really should be written down...". May I commend to you that even sitting down with your ANZAC and recording his/her story (on tape or digital audio file, whatever) is a priceless way of keeping these stories in perpetuity. I know in NZ, the National Sound Archive has many of these 'aural histories' and they are an extremely valuable resource. I suggest you contact your local RSA/RSL to see if any arrangement has been made to hold copies of these audio files anywhere. It's too late when the sentence starts "I wish I had..."

Le Vieux