PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHLAir wannabe? read this.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 17:42
Avenging Angel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SQP1, firstly let me tell you that I am not going to get into any “I’m right and you’re wrong” type argument with you. Management must already be loving your posts. They are past masters in the “divide and conquer” principle.

What Min Drag has just posted: “I don't believe you when you say people shout you down for putting your point across in the crewroom, we work with a decent bunch of guys who, in the most, would be more than happy to discuss your opinions to which you are fully entitled,is the only description of a crewroom situation in DHL I recognise. I have NEVER once witnessed anybody being shouted down, put down or in any other way being abused over this or any other subject. As he said, by far the majority of people working here are the easiest to work with, most pleasant and tolerant group of people I have ever come across since I started my working career. If someone has not been equally tolerant of some view you expressed and you expressed it in a reasonable and non abusive manner, then I am both surprised and disappointed.

When he says, I also question that you find you share the same opinion with the majority of people you fly with, you are in a minority by far and what you say doesn't add up”, I have to say again that his experience appears to be closer to what I have heard and experienced.

Neither am I going to insult you with the “I hope you lot are not going to keep embarrassing yourselves and me” type of statement. That is one person’s opinion, yours, and I prefer to let people judge for themselves after they have as many of the facts as possible.

Considering the past history of this problem together with the current situation, you really are dismissing (I’m being kind there) the whole thing, and a lot of good people, far too lightly.

I understand where you are coming from, I really do. I too have operated on these aircraft for sometime now and have had no particular problem. But people in the same cockpit have asked if I would be happy if we flew with one particular pack switched off. They are aware of a strong smell and I am not. I am always quite happy about this. I know that some of us are not very sensitive to these smells/fumes, and if I can be protected in any way then I am happy to take advantage of it.
And of course in most cases all this goes unreported. Not really very surprising considering management’s record, so far, in responding to this problem and their attitude towards those who report it.

Especially when you consider the FSI instructing us not to report certain types of fume events in the tech log “as they are normal”. Yes I know they are doing something and it takes time (it is surprising how much time…). I simply refer you back to my first post regarding where they will allow the “sniffers” to be placed. Want to take any bets on which aircraft will be chosen?
And do not forget that at the end of the day, they just need to spend a chunk of money to fix it.

I too was very happy with my freighting job, initially. It is hugely disappointing how much it has changed since I started here. There does appear to be a constant whittling away of our conditions, some real and some no doubt just a general feeling. We all know that nothing in this business stays the same but should we really let things get worse without any comment?

Let’s not forget, that “fumes” are only part of what is currently driving people away from this company. Ironically, it would not take a great deal to make it again, a great place to work.

Peace to you.