PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 14:34
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haughtney1

I am sorry, but you and reality have parted company.

The offence in question has nothing to do with being sober or otherwise, it has to do with an arbitary amount of alcohol in blood, nothing else.

Quote:
"Wrong...ANY breath (screening) test can be used as an evidential instrument...go and check a little bit of case law BJCC"

Really? this will be interesting, perhaps you'll poin to this case law for us then?

Quote:
"so lets move on, you still haven't offered a credible defense/justification regarding the use of a "breath screening test" as a measure to assess the pilot in question, and his ability to fly under the current regulations,"

I don't have to. A screening test is the way in which evidence to arrest is gathered. It's use is written into at least 2 acts of Parliamnet. It's been in use for over 20 years for drivers. and the last 2 or so for those who fall under this act.

The 'ability' to fly (or drive) is not at issue. Never has been, it is used to measure a BAC in relation to a prescribed limit. Which is why I agreed with your point over being sobar. Sobriety is not at issue, it is of no relevence, why do you keep bring it up?

Quote:
"If that is so, then I put it to you that in order to achieve a consistent and unbiased sample of aircrew then "qualified" screeners will need to make assessments of aircrew breath alcohol levels...rather than having officer plod acting on unsubstantiated and consequently ill founded grounds to victimize a completely innocent individual."

This would be funny if it wasn't a serious subject. There already is a 'qualified screener' it's a hand held elctronic device, usually called an ESD. It's what we have been on about, I don't think I've ever used a biased one, I mean it's a machine, it doesn't have a bias!!!