PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 14:01
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cargo boy

In fact, according to 4enginines4longhaul, he did have a BAC reading of 4.5.

You say the breath test gave a false positive. Did it? He had alcohol in his blood, is it not also a possibility that it gave an accurate reading, which then reduced, as it would and at a time later when a blood test was taken was below that limit? You see, if the explanation of ketones was given at the time, there are 2 conflicting angles. It cannot be resolved in situ, so arrest and go through the blood test process is the only way matters can go. No matter how much verification is tried at the scene, there is no way of confirming that ketones alone are responisble for a reading.

No, before you start, that is NOT me saying he is guilty, but got off.

Ok, security. There are some who are as you discribe, some that are far worse, and some that try very hard and are good at it. Just like any occupation, including your own, and my former one. I agree they can be infuriating, I detested thier way of doing things when I had to deal with them. But it does not make them all bad.

Of course when you want a group of people, who in spite of a general assumption, can read, to treat you, or rather your occupation in a more sympathetic way over an issue, in this case smell of alcohol, it's hardly a good idea to slate publicly them to the extent you have done.

Moving to what you think of Police. you have your opinion, which you say is based on your sources. Mine tell me a different story, so we'll have to assume that the reality is probably between the 2. I can see why he was arrested, and I can also see why Police do themselves no favours sometimes because they don't explain extactly why they do things. I doubt that will change much, which is a shame. Then again, if they do provide a full explaination, there would be times when it would do the arrested person few favours.