PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 13:03
cargo boy
I've only made a few posts so I don't feel the need to order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjcc
I call it having a BAC above a prescribed limit.
There you go again! This pilot didn't have any alcohol in his blood or breath. He had high Ketone levels but that is an indication of high Acetone not Alcohol!

The breath test machine cannot differentiate and therefore cannot be relied upon as an accurate indicator of breath alcohol. It gave a FALSE POSITIVE because of this flaw and therefore the police officer that attends the incident has to have more than just the word of a security monkey. He or she should have also assessed that they could smell "intoxicating liquor" or else the pilot appeared to inebriated. If he or she didn't assess that, and my sources tell me they didn't, then that officer is as despicable as the monkey who made the allegation in the first place.

As I mentioned before, we all base our opinions of others based on experience and whilst mine and many of my colleagues share similar opinoons of the security monkeys, I'm sure many of us share uncomplimentary opinions of the police that administer the breath test and your ex-colleagues in this case have not done themselves or public opinion any good. It's all very well hiding behind the current PC (excuse the pun) climate of covering ones @rse by not allowing any discretion but that only serves to highlight the idiocy of some of the current rules.