PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 12:45
EY777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm....here we go again with the loss of face syndrome.For the uninitiated, there is an offshoot thread in DnG Forums.

Real Men Don't Go Around

While some posters here are entitled to their opinions, sometimes I wonder where they based their opinions from.

My post on the said matter :
to the uninitiated, Loss Of Face is a very subjective subject, even for asians!Numerous books are written by westerners on this subject but I believe that most authors have yet to grasp the gist of it.

Let me give you a classic example.Loss Of Face can also occur to the surviving families of the dead crew.Where, let's say, hypothethically in an accident where the pilots were asians,the findings of the AI Board puts the blame on the 'incompetent' pilots.The grieving crew's family now will suffer a "loss of face" syndrome, as due to the fault of the crew, they have to carry the burden of shame for the misdeeds of their dearly departed.So. like I said earlier, it's a matter of perspective.

I believe in most cases of accidents due to unstabilized approaches, they are more than likely caused by a high "macho & ego" factor or "goal oriented & tunnel vision".These factors are prevalent in most cases & aren't ethnic or gender biased.
As the recent deadly shooting in USA shows, the family of the said shooter was 'ashamed' of his actions.Classic case of a 'loss of face for an asian family'