PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 10:12
cargo boy
I've only made a few posts so I don't feel the need to order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, does the attending police officer also have to suspect that an offence has been commited, ie. also smell what might be alcohol on the pilots breath or does he just whip out breath testing kit based on an allegation by one security monkey with no corroborating evidence?

Perhaps every time we go through the farce that is called security we should wait until we get to the aircraft and then inform the police that we smelt alcohol on the breath of one or more of the screeners and let the police deal with it. I'm sure they'd soon think a bit more carefully before making such serious allegations without being sure.

No doubt there will be some new regulation introduced to give the security monkeys new powers to take a closer sniff whilst checking our ID's or giving us the 'random' pat down. Wouldn't it be better to give them some better guidelines such as asking the crew member to step to one side whilst they call a supervisor and then ask to smell the breath of the crewmember because they suspect they can smell alcohol. The supervisor can be trained to look for signs of inebriation to back up any claim made by a lowley monkey and also confront their suspect directly and informing him or her that they intend to call the police because they suspect an offence is about to be commited.

Nah, it'd never happen because the monkeys don't have the IQ and the police want to play with their expensive and sophisticated toys. Must justify the expense of purchasing them.