PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 08:46
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heliport

You asked:

Quote:
"Feel free to give some examples of what else your post could mean other than all the drivers you arrested were over the legal limit when you arrested them, even those who passed the evidential test "

That isn't what I said is it?

What I did say is that I found the screening device to be accurate. The basis for saying so is that at the point of evidencial test, be that by blood or breath, if they were then under the prescibed limit, it would, in my experience be by a reading that was proportionate to the time between the first test and evidenital one.

For example if blood was taken, then that would take around an hour for the doctor to turn up, it would be no suprise then if a blood test came back with a reading in the early 70's. If the Custody Officer was busy and an evidencial breath test used, again, an hour after the first test, again it would be no suprise for a driver to blow 20 something.

What I have never had, is someone go straight to red on a screening device and then blow zero. In fact I have never had a screening device go red and an eviditaila test be anything other than a reading that would be accounted for by the time difference.

Had the discussion been about an incident that used the old crystal breath tests, then I would agree they were totally unreliable, and those who had not been near a drink could and did blow over the line.

You made the comment that this means they were guilty and got away with it. Again, not true. The evidence is the reading at the point of second test. The screening test provides evidence to justify arrest, it does provide evidence of guilt.

To the others that have made comment on Security Screeners 'judging' a pilot on fitness to fly. They have not, nor did anyone else. Yes, a Police Officer made a judgement that he had evidence of an offence that was further investigated, by taking a blood sample at a police station. That test was negative, and therefore there was no evidence to support a charge. That does not mean that any person who was invloved was wrong in their actions.