PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anzac Day; Lest we forget. Fathers, Uncles etc
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 04:52
Captain Nomad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have one great-grandfather on my mum's side who was a medic in Gallipoli and worked along-side the famous Simpson. He was apparently in the tent when Simpson came in announcing that a whole battalion was down (his donkey had gone missing). He took a bullet in the groin - removed from the butt and survived - keeping the offending bullet for future generations...

On Dad's side I have my great-grandmother's brother (Uncle George) who owned one of the biggest car mechanic workshops in Brisbane and was an early PPL with his own private plane (Gypsy Moth?). He was devastated that his eyes were not good enough to let him in into the Air Force during the war.

Another great Uncle was the decorated Colin Bowden (recently passed away August last year and honoured with a RAAF funeral). He was decorated for his role as a pilot with the famous Dam Busters raid among other successful missions.

And last of all my dear Granddad who was an A1 fitter and turner on Catalina flying boats at the Rathmines base during the war after serving time at Temora with Tigers and other machines. Some of his stories really should be written down...

Lest we forget...