PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic Master thread volume 2
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2007, 17:37
Cyprus Manoeuvre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m no expert, but having reasonably recently been through the selection process (Aug 06) this is what I know.
I am lead to believe that, from a couple of months ago, all CVs and applications will be formally replied to (unlike the system that was in place when I was applying). I understand that the HR team wish to reduce the plethora of CVs they have to a manageable pile. Bear in mind it is their intention to reply, whether they have the capacity to do that is anyone’s guess. I was advised to send a letter (on posh paper) accompanying my CV that ‘bigged me up’, now that they have gone to electronic CVs and applications, that may now be unacceptable, but it may be worth a try. I still believe that getting an interview with VA is the most difficult thing so it may pay to be a bit cheeky and ‘in their face’. At least it may get you noticed and get you an interview just to get you off their backs!
The selection day consisted of an interview (reasonably painless, with lots of touchy feely HR type questions) and a verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning test. Both tests were different from anything I have experienced before in the study that I had done to prepare for them. The verbal test was reasonably straight forward; however, the numerical one was an utter nightmare. I only finished half the paper and probably got halt the questions I completed wrong. There is no tech quiz.
Not sure much stock is put on the tests (I got the job), and it’s the interview that counts. Accordingly, the trick is to get yourself invited. As far as I am aware, VA are recruiting to refill the holding pool which is intended to be about 50 pilots strong.
Hope this helps, although things may have changed a bit since I went through the mill. Very worth the hassle though, great company and you will not be disappointed.
Best of luck.