PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRI and microlights - escape CPL?
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2007, 15:51
ifitaintboeing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xrayalpha,

You have asked a lot of questions in your post. I will try to answer them!

So why would anyone want a CRI if they can't get paid? And how are PFA coaches allowed to get paid, if I understand right?
Firstly, the PFA Coaching Scheme do not do any ab-initio training, and so would not undertake a Microlight to NPPL conversion. Any questions about the Pilot Coaching Scheme, PM me.

The minimum of 32 hours for an NPPL [SSEA] includes the 1 hour Instrument appreciation, 2 hours SSAT, and the NST/GST. So, most of the additional time over and above a NPPL [Microlight] would be used up with training/tests anyway. Please appreciate that these are minimum times required.

Now, if one wanted to stretch the rules, one could be a PPL with a microlight instructors rating and a CRI. If one then took cash off the student for microlight training for 40-50-odd hours and then offered to give them - free-of-charge, not even something for the petrol - 181 minutes of further flying in a light aircraft from the local licensed field, then that would be legal.
Yes, provided the student owns the aircraft or the aircraft is public transport, and the airfield is licensed. The CRI needs to be affiliated with a flying school also [change under JAR]. The student would still have to complete an NST/GST to complete the NPPL [SSEA] requirements.

since I have been approached by a light aircraft school wondering about operating from my field for some training to cut costs
You say your airfield is unlicensed. This would prohibit any ab-initio training at present. However, training for add on ratings like the IMC or Instructor Rating, or indeed Differences Training may be conducted from unlicensed airfields.

Regards,

ifitaint....

Last edited by ifitaintboeing; 21st Apr 2007 at 17:00.