PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRI and microlights - escape CPL?
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2007, 10:04
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So,

As I understand it - and this is from a potential operator of a light aircraft flying school hat, not as a potential student - someone can do their NPPL microlight in 25 hours (and pay the hourly instruction rate). This is all looking at legal minimums, rather than practical ones.

Then they would have to have more instruction to get to 32 hours (in microlights or light aircraft. If in microlights, could be mountain flying, advanced navigation etc etc and so the school could charge.)

Then there are three hours in light aircraft. And if using an Ikarus or Eurostar, the performance and controls are identical between micro and light varieties.

These three hours must involve the lesson starting and ending at a licensed airfield and a light aircraft instructor who can only be paid if he'she has a CPL and the permit-to-fly aircraft is solely owned.

So why would anyone want a CRI if they can't get paid? And how are PFA coaches allowed to get paid, if I understand right?

Now, if one wanted to stretch the rules, one could be a PPL with a microlight instructors rating and a CRI. If one then took cash off the student for microlight training for 40-50-odd hours and then offered to give them - free-of-charge, not even something for the petrol - 181 minutes of further flying in a light aircraft from the local licensed field, then that would be legal.

Since some schools give a 10 per cent discount for paying in advance, if you didn't give the discount, but hinted that you might get some free flying, but with no promises, then it would be financially sound for the school.

It might be for the student too since costs are not the same. Flying from an unlicenced field like mine, for instance, is 200 pounds a year for as many landings as you want. At Perth it starts at 12 pounds per landing!

From talking to the CAA, this is how "clubs" offer flights in Chipmunks and Jet Provosts - stretching the rules by making sure the flight is not "guaranteed" and is instead just something that you might be offered as a member!

Finally, it is not that I plan to offer such a scheme, more that I want to be commercially aware of what any competitor could offer (since I have been approached by a light aircraft school wondering about operating from my field for some training to cut costs, except that they may try to look for another site etc etc.).

Very best to all