PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair forces boy with leg in plaster to stand on 2 hour flight
Old 21st Apr 2007, 09:00
westie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair forces boy with leg in plaster to stand on 2 hour flight

This is the headline in the Mail today and I have to say comes as no surprise, but apart from the normal comments on the rude attitude of cabin staff and the captain, i feel it raises some worrying safetly issues.
The paper quotes that he was 'precariously strapped upright' in for take of and landing. I'm trying to imagine this position but surely it cannot be legal. Also what would have happened if the a/c had encountered turbulence and the seat belt sign was turn on. Would he be strapped in again, but 'upright'??
I am an airline Captain myself and like to think I know the difference between a drunken lout who has no place on my aircraft, and someone who is obviously in distress and just needs a bit of help. For God's sake he is a 16 year old kid with his leg in plaster, not a member of the 18-30 club on its way to Ibiza. Unfortunately I have experienced Ryanair's unsympathetic attitude to disabled passengers having made the mistake of accompanying my mother on one of their flights. So this sort of story comes as no surprise.