PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI market in UK
Thread: FI market in UK
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2007, 22:30
mikeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange aim - unprofessional instructors

Being new to the flying instructing market (having been in IT for many years) I am quite puzzled why some people seem to be pushing to have non-professional pilots as instructors (experienced PPLs). I'd have thought that everyone would have been trying to raise standards and have minimum qualifications and can't see why someone wouldn't be able or willing to get a CPL enroute to being an instructor.
Every other industry I can think of is trying to professionalise and set standards - even Financial advisors now have to be qualified! The teaching profession has qualified teachers - would it be the same to have experienced amaters in schools? Perhaps we could envisage experienced but unqualified doctors operating on people to cut waiting lists?
Perhaps I'm missing the point bit it would seem to me that the only benefit will be to the flying school owners. If you allow experienced PPLs to get paid instruction then the pay for all FIs will drop instantly as the market will be flooded with all those PPLs with enough experience. Supply will exceed demand - market forces apply.