PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow - Your first flight
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2007, 13:11
Seloco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seloco
1955. Aged 4. DH89A Dragon Rapide (no definite record but possibly G-AGJG, now airworthy at Duxford) owned by Aggie Agarzarian's Island Air Services and piloted by my great uncle Gp.Cpt. Gordon Carey. Flew down the Thames to the estuary and back....

This is possibly the same aircraft which still does sightseeing trips from time to time at weekends, down to overhead London City at about 3,000 feet, then turning west along the Thames. It passes over our house and the DH engine sound always makes me look out at it.
Actually WHBM it is more likely to be G-AKIF, which operates pleasure flights from Duxford with Classic Flights, whereas G-AGJG is privately owned. I used to fly on G-AKIF as a schoolboy in the 1960s, when it was owned by the Surrey and Kent Flying Club (aka "Sorry and Bent"!) at Biggin Hill, where my great uncle was by then a flying instructor.

Classic Flights also operates G-AIYR from Duxford, so that is another possibility. I'd like to think that I have flown in all three aircraft over the years. Ah, de Havilland!