PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your help needed: BBC News questionnaire on flying hours
Old 20th Apr 2007, 12:09
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
I am on holiday so taken longer to catch up with this thread.
Bomber Harris
Mr shoesmith is not doing independant research. He is collecting facts to support a 60 min presentation orientated at an uninformed public, the content of which has already been decided. I dont appove of his methods.
To be picky ... the method is not just to do with Mr Shoesmith. He has been given instructions by his management who pay him. You will be aware that BBC management may not be any better than your airline management ...
I believe a properply appointed research team conducted a review with the results directed at CAA, EASA, JAA and any other regulator you can think of!....would be far more beneficial to us as pilots than a TV "expose"
Yes, of course it would - but that would mean govt admitting a mistake and having to spend money. BUT if the BBC produce something of sufficient strength and veracity - it might be possible to get the properly appointed research team.

Gary Lager
then we're still looking at spending less average time at work than joe 9-5. So there must be something else at play.
Speaking as a non-pilot who spent some 27 years working in offices (and 'cube farms' just like Dilbert) I can tell you that we have the chance to dodge a lot of things, depending upon office culture, location and the boss:
  • Pop out to the shops.
  • Phone a friend!!
  • Attend meetings that you do not really need to be at and then sit back and do little.
  • Pretend to work at your desk.
  • etcetera
You guys cannot really pretend to work and your own lives depend upon not making a mistake. That is already 100% more stress than office workers.

Ancient Observer You state that the beeb is left wing and then quote a Murdoch newspaper to justify that? You don't get much more right wing than Murdoch so it is no proof.

Whether you like the BBC or not, this research is the ONLY game in town for the topic to get the light of day. I cannot see any other media outlet trying this one and the CAA will do nothing off their own bat, they have to be kicked by govt and govt can get kicked by the media. And this govt is more sensitive to getting kicked by the media than any other before in the UK.