PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Financial aid for CPL(H)
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2007, 05:29
outofwhack

Location: ˙ǝqɐq ǝɯ ʇ,uıɐ ʇɐɥʇ 'sɔıʇɐqoɹǝɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɯɐu ɹıǝɥʇ ʇnd ǝɯos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont borrow to Train

I'd recommend any young person interested in becoming a commercial helicopter pilot to think long and hard about what they really want, why they want it and what alternatives would suffice. Then they should plan how they can achieve it.

I believe it is a very bad idea for a young person [with few assets] to consider borrowing the money [from a source that must be repaid ;] [parent discounted because they should know better].
Fooling yourself you will simply get a job at the end of training can leave you bankrupt and without options.

It is not difficult to become an unemployed commercial helicopter pilot [unless medical lets you down]. Its a lot of fun doing the course. It just takes a lot of money and some aptitude and you get given a slip of paper in return (note, you may have no money left now and cant afford any flying).
However, it is VERY HARD TO GET A JOB as a commercial helicopter pilot because there are so few jobs and so many candidates.

So, if asked, I would emplore 'would be' commercial pilots to ask themselves "Why do I have to have a career flying helicopters?". If the answer is only "so I can get to fly helicopters" then being a commercial pilot may not be the easiest way to do that. (It could be the hardest way). Then ask "Is the idea of my own helicopter in my own backyard an alternative outcome that would suffice?" You certainly get to fly helicopters that way!

What I am trying to say is that it could be a whole lot quicker and easier to attain 'your own helicopter' by avoiding training as a commercial pilot!
Training for commerical AND getting a job needs heaps of money, effort, determination, dedication, doing without etc etc.
(If you are young the biggest things you may lose are an alternative career and getting on the housing ladder)

If you put even half the effort and determination required to be a commercial pilot WITH a job into another profession you would probably be very, very successful.

So I say why not choose a good 'normal profession' earning decent money with the aim of flying in your spare time - flying where you want to go and when you want to go!

I think many wise commercial pilots would agree - be a latent helicopter pilot first! Unless you have a rich daddy or a guaranteed job waiting for you - Get another career and buy a house as priority number one because it is guaranteed to help you later down the track get where you want to be [borrowing capacity or capital gain].

Then, when all else in your life feels secure, buy a share in helicopter, buy your own if you must or build your own from a kit. In most countries you can learn in your own kit-built helicopter with an instructor. Some kit helicopters are really quite good. e.g. Rotorway, Safari. Mind you - the cost of a kit is similar to a used, certified ship like a Bell 47 or Enstrom so unless you relish building one why not invest in an old classic and benefit from the proven safety record [and expensive parts - thats why sharing maintenance costs is so good]

Private flying can keep you happy and if it doesnt - then consider the add-on training to commercial level once you've tried private flying - the time and money is not wasted. I spent 20 years flying privately for fun before going for commercial and I now supplement my fun with the odd bit of charter work and joyflights. Most of the time its fun but sometimes the public mess you about and the fun wears off real quick. Anyway its all I really want for now. Maybe instructing when I have some experience to teach! I am real glad I have another profession to fall back on. Flying is more fun when you have the option.

OOW