PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAM & Dom/Reg FAAA
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2007, 01:48
Happicampa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lowerlobe

When was the last time LH went on strike period ? We often have to read their rantings in the papers about what their going to do to the company but I can't remember the last time they actually did anything ? Not only don't they talk and neogiate their way through anything, they bleat like bleeding lambs while not looking after the best needs of their members. "We will not stand for this" is their normal mantra, but thats it..... they're all talk. The Company knows it and ask any manager worth their salt, your union is truly hated by the Company and that can't possibly be good for the members I just don't see how..... at all. I don't apologise for supporting my union who continues to talk to and be listed to by my employer, that alone, is in the best interests of the members.

Does my union give the company everything they want, I sincerely dobut it. I know for a fact the company wanted to force all excess leave to be taken but after negotiations with MY union the end result was bid for 7 days or you'll be allocated 7 days of annual leave only. How long has YOUR union been allowing forced annual and lsl leave in your division ?...... years that's how long. Sure they complained to the members (and probably the papers) but its still happening isn't it. With SH, meetings happened and a reduced forced leave was achieved, your union cried foul, went blue in the face and still the full forced leave is in place. You tell me whats better ?

I said I didn't care why VB voted down their agreement, not that I didn't care about them. The only thing I can say without asking someone from the union why they put forward the agreement, is they probably thought it was better than the alternatives VB has with WorkChoices. Surely you must agree that an EBA is better for workers ? We all know AWA's are the way of the future (unless Rudd comes up with the goods) and I think protection in an EBA for 5 years should definately count for something with the crew that want a career, even for a short time. Stupidity is believing that any company will offer anything other than what their business has to offer and god knows, our laws don't insist on any worker rights at all........ just the boses.

Unless the f/a's in VB are prepared to go on strike to back up their vote, what power does that leave the union. Its really easy to say "go back and do a better job" to ANY union, but we are told, time and time again, by sh, WE ARE THE UNION. Personally I wouldn't vote NO unless I was willing to put my money where my mouth is and strike, I really would need to feel that strongly about the changes being put forward. Maybe they are planning strike action, but there is no-one on their thread talking about it so it would seem unlikely even from that limited source.

We're a very passive workforce in general terms and I know quite a few crew that would come to work regardless of any strike action, those that wouldn't come to work but would see it as an opportunity to get off to the beauticians/gym and some that would attend a union meeting. This from far more experienced crew (ie:years flying) than those at VB. The younger they are the more they want and less they want to do to get it. Perhaps just perhaps that also had something to do with their vote. Of course this is purely speculation on my part. I'm sure 9 out of 10 people saying no also means there was big changes and clearly not to people's liking. Based on my working experience I don't believe our union were saying take it if it wasn't in their long term best interest. Time will tell that we can be sure of.