PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2007, 00:43
Kiwi63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Helmets

I have used Alpha, Gentex, and MSA Gallet. Currently fly with an MSA Gallet helmet which I'm pretty happy with, but I was also happy with the other brands. Most important is you have to get the one that FITS your head, otherwise a 30 minute sortie feels like a torture session with your head in a vice. To be useful in a prang, or a bang on the head, it must be closely sculptured to your own dome and fit like a firm but comfortable glove, with NO 'hot-spots'. Like shoes, some brands fit some people wheras others prefer different brands. If you have the luxury, visit the suppliers in Aussie, or some of the big EMS operatoprs maybe?, and try their helmets, you should know within a couple of minutes whether a particular helmet is good for you. Or hassle your mates who have helmets to let you try and fit theirs to your head. Most of them have a few basic shell sizes, so the outer shell needs to be the right size, then a multitude of inner material so you can swap it around till it fits right. One brand comes with a heat-moulded inner; not really my choice as it never seemed to be just right. MSA Gallet is worth a look though (advertising in most flying publications or on the web, based in Brisbane area).