PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A seasonal reminder courtesy of the UK CAA
Old 19th Apr 2007, 16:42
JimBall

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A seasonal reminder courtesy of the UK CAA

With the open-air concert and gathering season upon us, the CAA's extensive legal department have a topical reminder for us all. News just in from the courts:

High flyer lands in the dock

Jeremy Paxton broke air aviation regulations

A flying businessman who uses his helicopter like other people use a car was fined yesterday after he breached air aviation regulations.

Jeremy Paxton took off from his helipad in The Warren, Caversham, while thousands of revellers gathered opposite the River Thames at the Womad and Reading festivals last year.

The 47-year-old millionaire violated Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) rules because he was within 1,000 metres of a public event of more than 1,000 people, Newbury magistrates heard yesterday.

Prosecutor Rushnee Shah told the court witnesses heard Paxton’s helicopter take off at about noon on July 29 last year – the second day of the Womad festival.

She said around 20,000 revellers would have been on the festival site at Rivermead, which is across the Thames from Paxton’s house and helipad, at the time. Paxton realised straight away he had breached the regulation and emailed the CAA that same day admitting he had flown out, Miss Shah said.

She said the businessman consequently undertook a training course on August 21 last year but three days later he committed a further breach when he flew off the day before the Reading Festival was due to kick off.

By that time some 60,000 revellers had descended on the Little John’s Farm site and were busy setting up their tents in anticipation of the rock festival, Miss Shah told the court.

She said Paxton had originally denied breaking the rule but co-operated fully with the CAA and later admitted the breach.

The court also heard Paxton had been granted permission by the CAA to fly below 1,000 metres to take off from and land at the helipad at his home, which is considered a congested area, and had no previous problems with the CAA.

Paxton, who is a trained commercial pilot and has clocked up more than 3,000 hours of flying, admitted the two charges.

The father-of-three, who moved to The Warren with his helicopter seven years ago, told magistrates he regretted breaching the regulations.

“I have never given the CAA any concern,” Paxton said. “Safety has been my priority and remains my priority.

“The offences that I am going to be convicted for will place me in some difficulty, not the fine but the criminal offence because I travel a lot to the US.

“I do regret it tremendously, one of the reasons I am here is to apologise to the court and the CAA.”

He was fined £400 for each of the offences and was ordered to pay £600 towards prosecution costs.

After the hearing Paxton told the Evening Post he used his helicopter like others used their car.

He added he did not use his helicopter for pleasure but as a means of transport.