PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2007, 16:37
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree it would be better for all to have had full access to the KNKT report immediately, it was a shame it had to be leaked to me to ensure it was made public.
Some in the DGAC and NTSC thought it was "me" who leaked it out! LOL

As to the downdraft, it seems that it was never explicitly said as a downdraft, all that was said was a push (direction not detailed as downward push)... now, dunno which one should we follow, the initial interview with the head of the pilot's association (A: "Push"... Q: what kind of push? wind? A: "Dunno, maybe a downdraft.")... or whether the pilots claimed the downdraft to the investigators...

Now if "push" is translated as downdraft (which it seems also shared by the invetigators), well... nuff said...

Why the overspeed? How about wind gradient?
Tailwind 10-15kts @FL270
tailwind 35kts @FL180
reducing to 21kts @ 3800ft, 3000ft @ 19, 2000@15kts...

Result, too high and "no space/time" to decelerate...

An ex GA pilot told me... "It's a bad habit for short haul pilots, they never look at the winds up there... so when the wind's stronger than normal, they get screwed up descents."

What I wanna know is, where's the FDR data beyond the last 4000ft of the flight? Has the ATSB given those data to the NTSC? In my personal opinion, it would give answers to:
Q: did he say the reason for overspeed?
A: it is the question which answer we have to find out
Q: basically he was surprised himself of the overspeed?
A he did not try to reduce (speed). But then we have to find out why. Whether at that time there was wind pushing out or he was not at alert condition. We have to find out (many things).
Q: but basically he has answered the question (about overspeed)?
A: The NTSC has to find out. We connect (the
facts) with (the pilot’s information). That is why it takes time.
Q: but he did not give winds as reason (for overspeed)?
A: he felt he was pushed, (he felt) there were winds.
The winds at higher level was different to the lower level.
Which in my opinion was a result of poor descent planning due to not taking into account the wind. But, the million dollar question remains, why not the go around?

How much of the 'shortened' descent time resulted in fixation or whatever else that can err when you have a shortened approach preparation time....

PK-KAR