PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates..been NOTAM'd for a while
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2007, 13:14
donpizmeov

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Slamer,

Yes I agree that if they had of known about the reduced length, and they had planned accordingly, it would have been much safer.

But, unfortunately, they didn't know (for whatever reason), and they didn't plan for it. The first they knew of it was while they were trundling (it was a Boeing remember) down the runway. Did they see the equipment prior to V1, and realise that the runway was now shorter than planned? **** knows. Also remember that the V1 they were using was calculated on a lot more runway than they had available. If they had still used this V1, as you are suggesting, wouldn't they have collided with the workman and the work equipment? So perhaps in this case, blindly following the V1 calculated for a full length would have ended in tragedy.

So I would suggest, that since no-one was hurt, and as the report said "No separation was lost", the commander of this flight took to the correct action in the circumstances. The reason they were in this predicament, is no doubt being investigated.

And yes I did like the sheep joke. But think I will stay with "Half witted muppet" as a favourite.

Don