PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2007, 01:42
markf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I am a journalist who wrote the SMH story, but was responding personally.
All to easy sometimes to blame the messenger and while I would not defend all media coverage of the Yogya incident, but I note that with the release of the preliminary report it is clear the criticisms raised in my story came from the KNKT, not media editorialising.
Of course I don't like inaccurate criticism Theamard, you seem to be the same, but if you are going to launch an "attack on journalistic integrity", pick the right target, I think my stories stand up pretty well.
To quote you:
"Maybe IF they have the report – they SHOULD report accurately what it contains and they SHOULDN’T be editorialising it, or adding a ‘cause/blame’ section on, or stating fictional remarks like “pilot's claims of a massive down draught” as fact?"

This is something I can help clear up, at risk of further criticism. The "massive downdraft" claim of the pilot first came from a story of mine published two days after the crash. It was a quote from the head of the Garuda pilots association made directly after he and other officials had interviewed the Pilot.
Interestingly, I also interviewd the Commission chairman, Tatang, on Tuesday this week, he stated the pilot was continuing to make a similar claim to investigators, but phrased it differently. To remove any "journalistic filter", here are his comments:
Q: the pilot has actually answered the question of why there was overspeed?
A: yes but we have to find out more things to conform the answer.
Q: did he say the reason for overspeed?
A: it is the question which answer we have to find out
Q: basically he was surprised himself of the overspeed?
A he did not try to reduce (speed). But then we have to find out why. Whether at that time there was wind pushing out or he was not at alert condition. We have to find out (many things).
Q: but basically he has answered the question (about overspeed)?
A: The NTSC has to find out. We connect (the
facts) with (the pilot’s information). That is why it takes time.
Q: but he did not give winds as reason (for overspeed)?
A: he felt he was pushed, (he felt) there were winds.
The winds at higher level was different to the lower level.

I agree it would be better for all to have had full access to the KNKT report immediately, it was a shame it had to be leaked to me to ensure it was made public.

I am as interested as anyone in seeing the full facts of the crash revealed. I lost two of my friends that morning.